There are some times in life when you feel like you’re stuck. No matter how hard you try to make a move, you end up standing in the same spot. At those moments, quotes about letting go could be your saving grace. One true reality slap you need to hear to shake yourself up and do something with your life.
Everyone will tell you to leave something or someone that isn’t making you happy. However, that is easier said than done.
To let someone go means to accept that the two of you won’t ever work well together, no matter how hard you try. Letting go is about admitting to yourself that your efforts to make things work are all in vain. And sometimes, being honest with yourself is harder than being honest with others.
So, if you’re struggling to let go of a toxic ex, emotionally unavailable parent, or a friend who’s only there when it’s convenient, I want you to know that I understand your struggle. These life decisions aren’t always easy and you may need a little push.
Quotes about letting go are here to serve that purpose. They’re here to help you realize that you deserve to get your happy ending. You deserve to lead a life where you’ll enjoy every second of it.
Quotes about letting go that will (hopefully) inspire you to move on
Allowing the past to stay in the past and motivating yourself to move on isn’t easy. To be honest, those are some of the hardest things you’ll ever have to do.
But life comes with its challenges and it doesn’t always go by plan. Sometimes, you imagine spending the rest of your life with a person but a few days later you realize that they aren’t good for you.
You still love them and want to make things work, but the real question is if you’re ever going to be truly happy. Are you really going to live your best life if you stay with them?
Once you realize that you’re wasting your energy and it’s time to let go, you may ask the Universe for a little sign. A wind beneath your wings that will make you realize you’re doing the right thing. Hopefully, these quotes are here to help you.
1. “Some of us think holding on makes us strong, but sometimes it is letting go.” – Herman Hesse
2. “I demolish my bridges behind me…then there is no choice but to move forward.” – Fridtjof Nansen
3. “Sometimes it takes a heartbreak to shake us awake and help us see we are worth so much more than we’re settling for.” – Mandy Hale
4. “Things are as they are – we suffer because we imagined different.” – Rachel Wolchin
5. “Don’t go through life; grow through life.” – Eric Butterworth
6. “You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy. So let them go, let go of them. I tie no weights to my ankles.” – C. JoyBell C.
7. “Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself.” – Deborah Reber
8. “I realize there’s something incredibly honest about trees in winter, how they’re experts at letting things go.” – Jeffrey McDaniel
9. “If you want to fly in the sky, you need to leave the earth. If you want to move forward, you need to let go of the past that drags you down.” – Amit Ray
10. “You will evolve past certain people. Let yourself.” – Mandy Hale
11. “Renew, release, let go. Yesterday’s gone. There’s nothing you can do to bring it back. You can’t “should’ve” done something. You can only DO something. Renew yourself. Release that attachment. Today is a new day!” – Steve Maraboli
12. “To let go is to release the images and emotions, the grudges and fears, the clingings and disappointments of the past that bind our spirit.” – Jack Kornfield
13. “All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on.” – Henry Havelock Ellis
14. “Let go of something old that no longer serves you in order to make room for something new.” – Roy T. Bennett
15. “Let things go. Release them. Detach yourself from them. Stop turning on your emotional television to watch the same program over and over again, the one that shows how much you suffered from a certain loss: that is only poisoning you, nothing else.” – Paulo Coelho
16. “Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go and then do it.” – Ann Landers
17. “One of the most courageous decisions you’ll ever make is to finally let go of what is hurting your heart and soul.” – Brigitte Nicole
18. “Know that everything is in perfect order whether you understand it or not.” – Valery Satterwhite
19. “When you hold resentment toward another, you are bound to that person or condition by an emotional link that is stronger than steel. Forgiveness is the only way to dissolve that link and get free.” – Catherine Ponder
20. “If you truly want to be respected by people you love, you must prove to them that you can survive without them.” – Michael Bassey Johnson
21. “Letting go means to come to the realization that some people are a part of your history, but not a part of your destiny.” – Steve Maraboli
22. “Once you realize you deserve a bright future, letting go of your dark past is the best choice you will ever make.” – Roy T. Bennett
23. “There are things that we never want to let go of, people we never want to leave behind. But keep in mind that letting go isn’t the end of the world, it’s the beginning of a new life.” – Unknown author
24. “Forgiveness means saying that you’re not going to let what happened to you define you any longer.”
– Heidi Priebe
25. “It is mental slavery to cling to things that have stopped serving its purpose in your life.” – Chinonye J. Chidolue
26. “I keep thinking about this river somewhere, with the water moving really fast. And these two people in the water, trying to hold onto each other, holding on as hard as they can, but in the end, it’s just too much. The current’s too strong. They’ve got to let go, drift apart.” – Kazuo Ishiguro
27. “The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward.” – Steve Maraboli
28. “The secret to life is to have no fear. When you can let go of what others think about you, how something is going to turn out, or how your past will affect your future, then you are finally living life free.” – Shannon L. Alder
29. “Sometimes the hardest part isn’t letting go but rather learning to start over.” – Nicole Sobon
30. “Once you realize you deserve a bright future, letting go of your dark past is the best choice you will ever make.” – Roy T. Bennett
31. “Sometimes the door closes on a relationship, not because we failed but because something bigger than us says this no longer fits our life. So, lock the door, shed a tear, turn around, and look for the new door that’s opened. It’s a sign that you’re no longer the person you were, it’s time to change into who you are. It’s going to be okay.” – Lee Goff
32. “Holding on is believing that there’s only a past; letting go is knowing that there’s a future.” – Daphne Rose Kingma
33. “Most things are forgotten over time. Even the war itself, the life-and-death struggle people went through is now like something from the distant past. We’re so caught up in our everyday lives that events of the past are no longer in orbit around our minds. There are just too many things we have to think about every day, too many new things we have to learn. But still, no matter how much time passes, no matter what takes place in the interim, there are some things we can never assign to oblivion, memories we can never rub away. They remain with us forever, like a touchstone.” – Haruki Murakami
34. “It hurts to let go, to say goodbye for the final time and remain distant in your closure, it may even tear your heart out to the point of insanity; but somehow in it all, you find the pieces of your worth and you start creating yourself again, and in that journey of transformation, you find the essence of what truly matters, inner happiness. It’s life, we all fall at some stage but it’s up to you, to decide how long you want to stay there.” – Nikki Rowe
35. “The key in letting go is practice. Each time we let go, we disentangle ourselves from our expectations and begin to experience things as they are.” – Sharon Salzberg
36. “The question is: do you want suffering or do you want peace? It’s that simple.” – Donna Goddard