Relationship compromises are great. Rather than fighting over something for the millionth time, you can come up with a solution that works for both of you and move on. When someone doesn’t care about your feelings, quotes can help you uncover the things that shouldn’t be compromised on, no matter what.
What do we mean by that? When your partner showers you with affection and attention on the regular but doesn’t show a single sign of remorse when your feelings are hurt, no amount of “But that’s who I am!” can change the fact that he’s never going to change for you.
Care and respect are two things you shouldn’t compromise on. When he tells you he loves you a million times a day, he’s adorable. However, those words mean nothing when he’s quick to disregard how you feel, gets angry when you bring up something he did, and treats you like an accessory.
Oh and, turning every conversation into an argument, making everything about him although you’re the one whose feelings are hurt, and dismissing your emotions because you’re “too much,” you’re “overreacting,” and you’re “having one of those days” screams that he doesn’t care about your feelings.
Now, there’s a difference between someone who’s trying to calm you down and someone who downright disregards you. When you’re convinced that you need to walk on eggshells around your partner or that you need to prove your worth to your partner over and over, know that something’s wrong.
We’re bringing you some relatable quotes to help you understand what’s going on. Whether you decide to meditate, write about your feelings, or save some of these quotes to remind you of your worth, we’ve got your back.
When someone doesn’t care about your feelings: quotes to help you face the reality
1. “Never love a careless man. He loves on his own time, your concerns don’t move him. You give, and he takes. He’s more interested in himself, he’ll never tell you that because he doesn’t care to.” – Ry Reed
2. “Protect your heart from anyone who doesn’t see the value of your love.” – Christy Ann Martine
3. “The way he looked at you. I got it then. He loved you, and it was killing him. He won’t get over you, Clary, he can’t.” – Cassandra Clare
4. “I had discovered that there was something more painful than falling in love with someone who hasn’t fallen for you; hurting that person – hurting him and not being able to do anything about it.” – Elizabeth Chandler
5. “She is pretending like she doesn’t miss him. He is pretending like he doesn’t care. But still, they couldn’t stop thinking about each other.” – Niyaz Ahemad
6. “I know I am but summer to your heart, and not the full four seasons of the year.” – Edna St. Vincent Millay
7. “Unrequited love is a ridiculous state, and it makes those in it behave ridiculously.” – Cassandra Clare
8. “You can close your eyes to the things you don’t want to see, but you can’t close your heart to the things you don’t want to feel.” – Johnny Depp
9. “I have to admit, an unrequited love is so much better than a real one. I mean, it’s perfect… As long as something is never even started, you never have to worry about it ending. It has endless potential.” – Sarah Dessen
10. “Because what’s worse than knowing you want something, besides knowing you can never have it?” – James Patterson
11. “I wanted so badly to lie down next to her on the couch, to wrap my arms around her and sleep. Just sleep together in the most innocent sense of the phrase. But I lacked the courage and she had a boyfriend and I was gawky and she was gorgeous and I was hopelessly boring and she was endlessly fascinating. So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane.” – John Green
12. “When you give someone your whole heart, and he doesn’t want it, you cannot take it back. It’s gone forever.” – Sylvia Plath
13. “The worst feeling is falling for someone and knowing that they won’t be there to catch you.” – Rashida Rowe
14. “Spend your time with those who love you unconditionally, not with those who only love you under certain conditions.” – Suzy Kassem
15. “The one you love and the one who loves you are never, ever the same person.” – Chuck Palahniuk
16. “I have to remember it is not love that has hurt me; but someone who could not love me in the right way.” – R. YS Perez
17. “Love is supposed to lift you up, not hold you down. It is supposed to push you forward, not hold you back.” – Suzy Kassem
18. “You made me hate the person I was becoming – only because you wanted me to – and for that, you will never be forgiven.” – Ahmed Mostafa
19. “Nothing hurts more than being disappointed by the one person who you thought would never hurt you.” – Gugu Mofokeng
20. “Just say NO to complicated, dead-end, unhealthy, and toxic relationships.” – Stephanie Lahart
21. “Sometimes, you can be more than enough for someone, but they choose not to be in your life. Always remember that Satan works hard to keep people miserable by feeding their fears, so they stay in their comfort zone. The truth is some people value what is predictable, more than chemistry.” – Shannon L. Alder
22. “Because, if you could love someone, and keep loving them, without being loved back… then that love had to be real. It hurt too much to be anything else.” – Sarah Cross
23. “You lose yourself trying to hold on to someone who doesn’t care about losing you.” – Tablo
24. “I want him to see the flowers in my eyes and hear the songs in my hands.” – Francesca Lia Block
25. “I never expected you to love me, I didn’t see any reason that you should. I never thought myself very lovable. I was thankful to be allowed to love you and I was enraptured when now and then I thought you were pleased with me or when I noticed in your eyes a gleam of good-humored affection. I tried not to bore you with my love; I knew I couldn’t afford to do that, and I was always on the lookout for the first sign that you were impatient with my affection.” – W. Somerset Maugham
26. “Too many of us are hung up on what we don’t have, can’t have, or won’t ever have. We spend too much energy being down when we could use that same energy – if not less of it – doing, or at least trying to do, some of the things we really want to do.” – Terry McMillan
27. “Every broken heart has screamed at one time or another: Why can’t you see who I truly am?” – Shannon L. Alder
28. “And then it happens, the most dreaded response in the world, terser than any word, more withholding than a no, and strictly verboten for someone as in love with language and me as you claim to be. You: K.” – Caroline Kepnes
29. “You have never loved me as I love you – never – never! Yours is not a passionate heart – your heart does not burn in a flame! You are, upon the whole, a sort of fay, or sprite – not a woman!” – Thomas Hardy
30. “There comes a time in your life when you have to choose to turn the page, write another book, or simply close it.” – Shannon L. Alder
31. “All these years, I’ve had a story in my mind, the story about us that never really existed. And because of that story, I’ve kept you framed up on the wall in a little box of nostalgic moonlight.” – Cathleen Schine
32. “Maybe I was destined to forever fall in love with people I couldn’t have. Maybe there’s a whole assortment of impossible people waiting for me to find them. Waiting to make me feel the same impossibility over and over again.” – Carol Rifka Brunt
33. “Sometimes life sends us people who don’t love us enough, to remind us of what we’re worthy of.” – Mandy Hale
34. “Never fall in love with someone that won’t fight for you because when the real battles begin, they won’t pull your heart to safety, but they will their own.” – Shannon L. Alder
35. “You see,’ she concluded miserably, ‘when I can call like that to him across space – I belong to him. He doesn’t love me – he never will – but I belong to him.” – L.M. Montgomery
36. “Desiring another person is perhaps the most risky endeavor of all. As soon as you want somebody – really want him – it is as though you have taken a surgical needle and sutured your happiness to the skin of that person so that any separation will now cause a lacerating injury.” Elizabeth Gilbert
37. “A ‘situationship’ is not a relationship. Excuses about limitations and obstacles are just a lack of courage and commitment. Those who truly want to be together, find a way to make it happen.” – Anthon St. Maarten
38. “The saddest thing is to be a minute to someone when you’ve made them your eternity.” – Sanober Khan
39. “Unrequited love does not die; it’s only beaten down to a secret place where it hides, curled and wounded. For some unfortunates, it turns bitter and mean, and those who come after pay the price for the hurt done by the one who came before.” – Elle Newmark
40. “A final comfort that is small, but not cold – the heart is the only broken instrument that works.” – T. E. Kalem