You probably weren’t planning on Googling “end of relationship” quotes. However, here you are.
If you’re going through a tough time at the moment, especially one like a breakup, don’t worry. You’ll connect to some of these quotes on a deeper level.
These wise words may help you heal and quench your sadness for a moment. Personally, I’m a sucker for these kinds of quotes and I don’t even have to be going through a rough patch to appreciate them.
It’s just something about them that brings peace to you. If it were a person telling me these things, I’d probably just shrug it off. But I find these very inspirational and helpful to get through some dark times.
It’s amazing how a few written words can affect us. When you hear them out loud, you don’t think much about them. It’s because they’re coming from someone who already has a formed opinion and is presenting certain feelings.
However, when you see these inspirational quotes in written form, you have all the freedom in the world. You’re able to interpret them however you want to, however you see fit.
You don’t have to be presented with anyone else’s interpretation. Instead, you connect with them on a deeper level. Especially if you’re suffering a broken heart.
End of relationship quotes to help you move on
These words aren’t magical, but they have a few tricks up their sleeve. They can help you feel relaxed and more at ease.
It’s nice knowing you’re not the only one who’s going through some bad stuff at the moment. Just the thought of you not being alone in all this drama can help.
You know that there are people out there who’ve been in your place before. That’s where these quotes come from, right?
As human beings, we’re all seeking comfort when going through a heartbreak. It’s a normal thing to do and one of the best ways is to read through these quotes.
You’ll link with them on a personal level, which will help you on your road to recovery. Letting go of old stuff is hard. New beginnings are even harder, but a must.
Here are some breakup quotes that will make you feel better and hopefully bring you some peace.
1. “Oh, it was meant to be. It just wasn’t meant to last.” – Kate McGahan
2. “Ending something doesn’t have to be filled with regret, anger, or negativity. We have experiences and memories that serve a purpose.” – Omar Lee
3. “There is still something worse than a breakup. That is keeping the other person in your heart even though you are no longer together. I mean, maybe it’s a test, if you want to understand someone, really want to understand someone, you should try to divide at least once, only once.” – Wahid Bhat.
4. “Relationships end, but they don’t end your life.” – Steve Martin
5. “Love is unconditional, relationships are not.” – Grant Gudmundson
6. “In any relationship in which two people become one, the end result is two half people.” – Wayne Dyer
7. “What’s broken is broken — and I’d rather remember it as it was than mend it and see the broken pieces as long as I lived.” – Margaret Mitchell
8. “Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.” – Marilyn Monroe
9. “Maybe the most that you can expect from a relationship that goes bad is to come out of it with a few good songs.” – Marianne Faithfull
10. “The loss of love is not nearly as painful as our resistance to accepting it is.” – Tigress Luv
End of relationship quotes to make you feel better
Sometimes, all you need is a little extra push. You may feel like your world has just crumbled and you’ve given up. As weak as you feel right now, you have to stay strong.
These inspirational quotes for the end of a relationship will come in handy when you feel down. They will be of your service when you’re behind closed doors and reminiscing about the past.
They may help you take your mind off of your past and the whole breakup ordeal. If you’ve recently broken up, you may find yourself getting touched by some of these.
Some of these quotes can bring both happy and sad tears to your eyes.
11. “If a relationship is to evolve, it must go through a series of endings.” – Lisa Moriyama
12. “Sooner or later we’ve all got to let go of our past.” – Dan Brown
13. “If love breaks more than a heart, maybe it’s a sign and time to step out.” – Anthony Liccione
14. “Sometimes it takes a heartbreak to shake us awake and help us see we are worth so much more than we’re settling for.” – Mandy Hale
15. “Nothing in the universe can stop you from letting go and starting over.” – Guy Finley
16. “Think about any attachments that are depleting your emotional reserves. Consider letting them go.” – Oprah Winfrey
17. “Make it a rule of life never to regret and never to look back. Regret is an appalling waste of energy; you can’t build on it; it’s only good for wallowing in.” – Katherine Mansfield
18. “The heart was made to be broken.” – Oscar Wilde
More end of relationship quotes to mend your heart
19. “I had to cease to mourn what could never be and make the most of what was possible. And I would begin doing that by trying to mend the hurts of the past.” – Cameron Dokey
20. “Some of us think holding on makes us strong, but sometimes it is letting go.” – Hermann Hesse
21. “Celebrate endings – for they precede new beginnings.” – Jonathan Lockwood Huie
22. “In any important relationship, we must always ask should we stay or leave. Perchance the correct answer exits in the reason for hanging on and the reason for finally moving on. Perchance self-sacrifice is required. Conversely, perhaps selfishness is called for as an act of self-preservation.” – Kilroy J. Oldster
23. “We had more in common than I thought we did. You were my priority. You were your priority.” – Kate McGahan
24. “You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy. So let them go, let go of them. I tie no weights to my ankles.” – C. JoyBell C.
25. “If you spend your time hoping someone will suffer the consequences for what they did to your heart, then you’re allowing them to hurt you a second time in your mind.” – Shannon L. Alder
I’m warning you…
Some of these quotes may take their toll on you. You may find them a bit too personal and they may trigger some sadness.
But whatever you do, remember you deserve to move on. Losing someone is a tough process but healing is harder. We all know wounds take time, so take it easy.
That being said, some of these can make your eyes watery, and don’t blame me for that! Love quotes are usually so intense and emotional that you just can’t resist reading them. Just like those cute notes for boyfriends, these quotes also have a special meaning.
26. “So often the end of a love affair is death by a thousand cuts, so often its survival is life by a thousand stitches.” – Robert Brault
27. “It’s better to be healthy alone than sick with someone else.” – Phil McGraw
28. “Sometimes we must undergo hardships, breakups, and narcissistic wounds, which shatter the flattering image that we had of ourselves, in order to discover two truths: that we are not who we thought we were; and that the loss of a cherished pleasure is not necessarily the loss of true happiness and well-being.” – Jean-Yves Leloup
29. “Ending a long-term relationship is extremely tough and recovering from the issues you’ve had in the relationship is even tougher and takes time.” – Jyoti Patel
30. “None of us knew how terribly these two fine people suffered in secret. I do not think that they ever stopped loving each other, but deep down in their nature they did not belong to one another.” – Hermann Hesse
See for yourself how these make you feel…
31. “The end of a relationship is not always a failure. Sometimes all the love in the world is not enough to save something. In these cases, it is not a matter of fault from either person. Some things cannot be, it’s as simple as that.” – Ashly Lorenzana
32. “There comes a time where you have to choose between turning the page and closing the book.” – Unknown
33. “It is important that we forgive ourselves for making mistakes. We need to learn from our errors and move on.” – Steve Maraboli
34. “Do what you did at the beginning of a relationship and there won’t be an end.” – Tony Robbins
35. “And sometimes, being in love is not enough to make it work.” – Dominic Riccitello
36. “If love were enough, we would all be dancing in the rain… But maybe we’re just searching for thunderstorms in a desert wasteland…” – Chishala Lishomwa
37. “When a door closes, knock on it a few times. But if it still doesn’t open, let it stay closed. In career, in love, in LIFE – when you see the period at the end of the sentence, don’t try and turn it into a comma. Know when something is over and move on.” – Unknown
These quotes are supposed to help you
When dealing with a departure, there’s always that constant fear present. Fear of losing your loved one, fear of moving on, fear of things changing, and so much more.
The first and major step you have to do when breaking up is to forgive yourself. Remember, no one deserves to be guilt-tripped because you were both in the relationship.
Relationships are teamwork, so if you’re a solo player, then it’s better to try it out later. Whether you were hurt intentionally or it’s just how things ended, it doesn’t matter.
All we care about is for these end of relationship quotes to help make you feel better. Pick out your favorite one and write it on your Facebook profile!
38. “How we begin and how we end any relationship is a product of planning, fortuity, and personality. Many enterprises commenced in good faith spiral into confusion, discord, and disarray, generate turmoil and corruption, sunburn the sensitive parties, and conclude in a cesspool of regret and animosity.” – Kilroy J. Oldster
39. “I eventually came to realize that a dead-end relationship can never be, and no matter how much time you invested in a relationship, if the two of you are not compatible, it will be doomed. Whether you break up now or waste another four years, the relationship cannot last.” – Unknown
40. “Parting ways with someone or something doesn’t always make sense, so people often create reasons to be angry and resentful because it weaves a stronger narrative around the process of letting go. That way, they don’t have to take responsibility for their part in it, because, you know.” – Madeleine Ryan
41. “It takes bravery to end a relationship.” – Leona Lewis
42. “In life, every ending is just the start of another story.” – Julian Barnes
Wait, there’s more…
43. “Not every story has a happy ending, but that doesn’t mean it’s not worth telling.” – Lucian
44. “If people refuse to look at you in a new light and they can only see you for what you were, only see you for the mistakes you’ve made, if they don’t realize that you are not your mistakes, then they have to go.” – Steve Maraboli
45. “Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.” – Alfred Lord Tennyson
46. “Pleasure of love lasts but a moment, pain of love lasts a lifetime.” – Bette Davis
47. “We mistakenly assume that if our partners love us they will react and behave in certain ways – the ways we react and behave when we love someone.” – John Gray
48. “To meet, to know, to love and then to part, is the sad tale of many a heart.” – Samuel Taylor Coleridge
49. “One of the most unfortunate realities of heartbreak is that our ‘natural’ responses often do us more harm than good.” – Guy Winch
50. “Relationships last not because they were destined to last. Relationships last long because two people made a choice to keep it, fight for it, and work for it.” – Unknown
Don’t worry, we have plenty more quotes
If these haven’t helped you or you haven’t found your favorite yet, I’m sure the next ones will be special. These end relationship quotes are picked with love and care.
We’ve all been there so we know how it feels to lose a soulmate, a best friend. You feel all alone but trust me, you’re not.
We’re all in this together to help make you feel better. Some of these quotes may just be your ticket out of your remorse and sadness.
You’re in an endless loop of gloomy thoughts and can’t seem to get away from them. You’re stuck in this dark place with the memories swarming your mind.
Let these quotes help you feel relaxed and bring you some comfort. Although it can be painful, it can be healing as well.
3, 2, 1… GO!
51. “Ever has it been that love knows not its own death until the hour of separation.” – Khalil Gibran
52. “Any time you end a relationship, and everyone has ended plenty in their life, it’s always a tough thing and hard to get over.” – Adam Brody
53. “If a relationship is founded on love, it doesn’t end.” – Rosanne Cash
54. “In the end, I’d loved him enough to let go. From afar, I would love him forever.” – Cynthia Leitich Smith
55. “End the relationships and cry once. Believe me, it’s better than being with them and crying daily…” – Chandramoy Indu
56. “Stop looking at the end of a relationship as a failure. Leaving it behind can be a courageous choice – and an opportunity for you to be honest and authentic.” – Georgia Kolias
57. “When you think this pain is all you deserve, you are right. You are the only one that can decide how long you will walk in hell.” – Shannon L. Alder
58. “A sad thing in life is that sometimes you meet someone who means a lot to you only to find out in the end that it was never bound to be and you just have to let go.” – Unknown
59. “No matter your role in this breakup, whether you were dumped or you walked away, it takes serious courage and resiliency to make it through to the other side.” – Samantha Burns
60. “Letting go does not mean you’re giving up, it simply means you’re making a conscious choice to acknowledge that something is out of your control.” – James A. Murphy
Here are some more end of relationship quotes to help you heal
Healing from a broken heart is a long and tough process. It feels like you’re ripped apart and you’re trying to find the missing pieces.
Breakups are rough, but the period after them is often even tougher. No matter how hard you try to forget the past, it always keeps coming back to you.
It’s time to take matters into your own hands and stop the madness. If you’re still looking back, you won’t be able to move on.
Read these end of relationship quotes carefully and see how they affect you. It’s no secret they’ve had a great impact on me!
61. “Almost all of our relationships begin and most of them continue as forms of mutual exploitation, a mental or physical barter, to be terminated when one or both parties run out of goods.” – W. H. Auden
62. “Even if you initiated your split, you are going to be overcome with interminable sorrow. You are not only mourning the loss of someone significant in your life, but saying farewell to your dreams of an eternity together.” – Rachel Sussman
63. “You’ll slowly start seeing life beyond the breakup, and eventually life won’t be about the breakup at all.” – Lesley Robins
64. “It ended sadly. The kind of ending where you wait together, holding hands and weeping, while off in another room, love slowly dies.” – Abigail Thomas
65. “And perhaps there is a limit to the grieving that the human heart can do. As when one adds salt to a tumbler of water, there comes a point where simply no more will be absorbed.” – Sarah Waters
66. “It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company.” – George Washington
67. “In the end there doesn’t have to be anyone who understands you. There just has to be someone who wants to.” – Robert Brault
68. “It is strange how often a heart must be broken before the years can make it wise.” – Sara Teasdale
69. “The cure for a broken heart is simple, my lady. A hot bath and a good night’s sleep.” – Margaret George
70. “When your heart is broken, you plant seeds in the cracks and you pray for rain.” – Andrea Gibson
71. “The emotion that can break your heart is sometimes the very one that heals it.” – Nicholas Sparks
72. “So here’s the thing with broken hearts. No matter how you try, the pieces never fit the way they did before.” – Unknown
A note to self
You’re allowed to feel weak and alone, but this shouldn’t be the reason to give up. If you lost your lover or a best friend, you have the right to grieve.
You may do so by finding peace in the end of relationship quotes.
However, make sure you don’t lose yourself in the process. It gets hard keeping track of all the days, weeks, and months that go by in the agony.
Still, remember that life isn’t about the past. It’s about the future and all the ways you’re going to spend it.