I am sure you all know what social media is, but it is not a bad thing to repeat the definition one more time before we start to talk about it. Social media can be defined as “the collective of online communications channels dedicated to community-based input, interaction, content-sharing, and collaboration”. It is very important to actually understand this because social media was created to bring us together, yet it seems that we are lonelier than ever. We are one click away from the person we want to talk to, but we are not doing it. That is a little sad if you ask me.
Best known social media platform is Facebook, for sure. Facebook users can create a profile, upload photos, and videos and most importantly – chat with their friends. It is free and allows us to contact our friends and family no matter where in the world they are.
Instagram is a platform that allows us to post photos, videos, and short captions. it is known for hashtags that make easier for other people to find your posts. It is very popular, editing a photo you want to post can be a really fun process.
Twitter is a platform that allows posting short written posts that are called Tweets. It is very popular in the USA.
Other popular social media platforms are Pinterest, Snapchat, Google+, Reddit, etc.
With this being said, it is normal to ask yourself what it really is that makes social media that good and positive. Here are the five pros:
- It is free. That means that you can communicate with anyone, anywhere in the world – for free. That also means that you can promote your business anywhere in the world, for that you will probably have to pay though, but it is very cheap. Very. Cheap.
- It is easy to use and it is instant. We’ve already established that you can communicate with anyone, but you can do it in real time just by opening up your laptop or picking up your phone.
- It’s fun! Sometimes you just feel like scrolling and liking videos of baby pandas. It is also so much fun to spy on your ex-boyfriend’s new girl. Admit it.
- It offers great business opportunities. It is good for both employers and employees, they can easily connect wherever they are.
- It’s helpful when it comes to studying – students can easily connect with other students and professors and exchange ideas and knowledge. And studying materials. And together come up with new ways of cheating on a test… Wait, that’s a con… Or is it?
Cons of social media:
- It’s addictive. It’s actually extremely addictive. How many times have you caught yourself just sitting there and scrolling when you should really be doing something meaningful? Many times, for sure… But what can you do, that baby panda is really cute.
- Hacking and privacy issues. But seriously, how gross it is when that happens? You don’t know who did it and who saw all of your saved stuff and private messages.
- Social media is actually perfect for bullies because anyone can create a fake account and torture others. You really have to be a sick person to do that. One day you will have your own kids, imagine if someone did to them what you are doing to others. Not fun, huh? Spread love.
- Scams and frauds. Be careful to whom you are giving your personal information because they can easily use it against you. You may end up being broke in a second.
- Sleep disruption. Last but not the least, too much time spent on social media, especially in your bed when you should be sleeping, can cause some serious consequences. You have to find the balance; otherwise, you will be tired all the time. If you’re tired, you’re less productive.
Social media was created to bring us closer and to be able to share information anywhere and anytime. Focus on using it for something good, explore the opportunities it offers and be careful with whom you interact.